Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oyez audio recordings - wonderful, but can we have them downloadable for offline use please?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oyez audio recordings - wonderful, but can we have them downloadable for offline use please?

I'm finding the audio records of oral argument and rulings invaluable for my studies. They allow me to get out of my study room and enjoy nature, or carry out essential tasks, while learning. However I'm having several major problems with the interface, and wanted to suggest a feature which would help me and I suspect potentially many others, i.e. that the audio be downloadable so I can play it offline.

The current difficulties are that with any weak internet connection, the audio craps out, and the whole recording has to be reloaded, often, and often even that won't make the section play, probably because of the weak connection. Even strong connections, if interrupted, will lead to all manner of fiddling about and long delay. And rewinding anything is a major undertaking: often that itself will cause the playback to crap out, requiring a reload, and crossing-of fingers. A one-hour recording may take considerably longer than that to get through. Any tasks undertaken at the same time as listening, e.g. walking, or household chores, get interrupted. And the interruptions, when they frequently don't finish in the audio restarting as it ought, are really frustrating. Parts of my home have no good net connection; likewise the countryside I walk in.

Don't get me wrong: the text/audio interface is wonderful. My request is simply that the recordings be *also* placed or linked-to online in some sort of ordinary repository from which one can stream stuff (in a way which can be downloaded), or just as whole files downloadable to one's device, and thereby play it offline, and play it through the sorts of existing podcast software which gives the listener lots of control (to slow down, or rewind by 5 seconds, for example).

I believe these kinds of streaming or file download repositories exist for many purposes on the web and are often free.

Thanks

You can find downloadable versions of the audio on the Supreme Court's own website at https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_ar...ent_audio.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
      You can find downloadable versions of the audio on the Supreme Court's own website at https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_ar...ent_audio.aspx
      Thanks - unfortunately those only go back to 2010 and I'm focussing more on the earlier civil rights cases.
      Last edited by Meldrum; 07-21-2017, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X