This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where To Go To Find or Ask A Lawyer

The LII functions primarily as a laboratory for applied research into online publishing of legal texts and related data. In other words, most of our expertise is in computer science, not law. While we do what we can to answer questions about our website, we must defer on questions about the law itself. Check our Lawyer Directory to help locate a lawyer who can help you. The ABA maintains extensive information about programs that provide legal services to people who cannot otherwise afford an attorney.

Additionally, we are admirers of the efforts of a company called Justia. Among their offerings is a free service for asking questions of lawyers qualified to practice in various areas of the law. They want to reward lawyers for providing legal information and contributing to the growing amount of free legal content online. Justia gives lawyers points for answering questions that translate into higher placement in their lawyer directory. They call this "doing well by doing good."

You can find this service at: http://answers.justia.com.
    Last edited by Charlotte; 06-02-2014, 11:04 AM.

What phone number can I call to talk to someone directly about a situation that is taking place at a prison where my son is and it is important and we are Native Americans. It involves a lot so that is why I would like to talk to someone about it.

Comment

Justia's answer service does not have a phone option; their online service is the only version available. If you would like to talk to someone in person, your best option is to set up an appointment with an attorney, legal aid agency, or law school clinic.

You can use the LII's Lawyer Directory (link in Charlotte's post above) to find a lawyer in your area.

You may also want to try the lawyer referral service that many state and local bar associations provide. Usually, the referral service will arrange for an appointment (often around half an hour) with an attorney to discuss your problem. You will normally have to pay a fee for this first meeting (the fee may be around $30-$50). The American Bar Association's website has a list of these referral services around the country at http://apps.americanbar.org/legalser...ris/directory/

The Legal Services Corporation also has a website at http://lsc.gov/find-legal-aid that you can use to find the legal aid agency (which provides legal assistance to people with low incomes below a certain level) in your area and its phone number.

The American Bar Association website Charlotte linked to in her post also lists law schools across the country that have public-interest law clinics that you might be able to call; their directory of schools with clinics is available at http://apps.americanbar.org/legalser...i_clinics.html

Comment

According to Article 5 of the U.S. Constitution, 2/3 of the House and Senate need to pass an amendment before being sent to the states for ratification. People were surprised that in 1992 the 27th Amendment to the Constitution was ratified. Here is the question. Do they get back pay with interest?

Comment

Lot of concern over human human trafficking. Human Trafficking is like slavery. Ergo it would violate the 13th Amendment to the Constitutions prohibition against slavery. It would also violate Article 1 section 9 of the U.S. Constitution. Now the reason business is getting visas for people to come here is because most of these people are Christians or Allies of the U.S. denying u.s. Citizens access to credit or job opportunities denies them a right to earn a living in violation of the Equal Protection Clause also Equal Credit Opportunity Act among others. Depriving people of their livelihood ie. the right to earn a living http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/fifth_amendment
          Last edited by lisa6; 02-21-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

It looks like the Annotated Constitution contains a footnote to some literature that might go into some detail on the scope of the 27th Amendment: http://www.law.cornell.edu/anncon/ht...tml#amdt27_hd3. See if you can get ahold of that article. There is more literature to be found in Google Scholar, where I was able to find this article that mentions retroactive pay: http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.ed...orkplace/1343/.

Comment

My Father and Mother both passed away in 2005. (Father first) Estate has been closed since 2006. Now we find Father's Father had some land in his name. If it is sold and we receive my Father's inheritance do we need to open an Estate account again? Property is outside of the United States.

Comment

12 U.S. Code ยง 2607 - Prohibition against kickbacks and unearned fees

My question is related to kickbacks or referral fee's related to Commercial lending and is not Residential lending and RESPA related. Can an employee lending officer of a Federally regulated commercial bank legally refer bank clients FOR A REFERRAL FEE (large at that) to an independent non regulated commercial loan broker or private equity lender. I own a commercial loan consulting and brokerage company and have been asked by a VP of commercial lending at a large national bank to send loans to our business in return for a large fee. This person does not want to disclose that he is being paid and has not provided any services other than name and phone number. He has referred several clients and now wants to get paid for his referrals. I can not find information other than residential lending and RESPA guidelines that obviously prohibit and form of kickback. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks SFKIDS

Comment

7 CFR 58.439- Cheese from unpasteurized milk states in part:" If the cheese is labeled as "heat treated", "unpasteurized", "raw milk" or "for manufacturing" the milk may be raw or heated below pasteurization temperatures." Question; does this mean the retail package of cheese must have a PDP with raw milk cheddar or must the raw milk declaration be contained in the ingredient listing of the product?

Comment

I am in the midst of a divorce, filed in 2012. There is pendent lite support order in place since 6/2012. In March 2014, the Judge ordered $20,000 of my bonus be used to pay a portion of my spouse's attorney fees. Is this considered a third party payment and can it be deducted as alimony on my taxes.

Comment

Please Note: Lawyers are not monitoring this thread. If you have a question that you would like to ask a lawyer, we recommend the resources listed in the first post of this thread.

davidjames: Since your question asks about applying the law to a specific situation, we recommend asking an attorney. The resources listed in the first post in this thread can give you some good places to start.

CSNJ123: The answer to this question may vary from state to state. The Legal Information Institute's Uniform Matrimonial and Family Laws Locator https://www.law.cornell.edu/uniform/vol9 can help point you towards the statutes in your state that deal with family law. Since your question asks about applying the law to a specific situation, however, we also recommend asking an attorney. The resources listed in the first post in this thread can give you some good places to start.

Comment

I have a question concerning dependency exemptions. I met my girlfriend who lived in State A in 2010. I lived in State B. In 2010, she agreed to live with me in State B. We had to wait until June 2011 to move her to State B because her son was attending school in State A. I provided more than 50% of her financial support while she remained in State A from January through May, 2011. We established our intent to live together in 2010. The IRS allows for temporary absences under special circumstances such as education. However, the IRS is denying me exemptions for 2011 because my girlfriend was not living with me on January 1, 2011. There is nothing in the IRS Publications that indicate my girlfriend must have resided with me on January 1. The Publications state that my girlfriend must live with me all year unless there are temporary absences such as education, etc. My tax Court case is scheduled for this month.

Comment

Hi rclintonwood. There are a few options for getting an answer:
                          1. you can contact the IRS directly (http://www.irs.gov). They have information for different types of information-seekers. Likewise, the search function on their website is not bad. More, they provide information for finding your local tax office: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1.
                          2. you can contact the tax officials of State A and/or State B and inquire with them. It would be the matter of a simple Google search to find the information. So, for New York, for example, my searched looked like: new york tax site:gov ... I included "site:gov" so that I would be sure that I would only get official websites.
                          3. you can speak with an attorney in either State A or State B, or who specializes in tax law. For this, our Ask A Lawyer post provides links to resources that can help you locate an attorney. So, if you scroll up from this post to the very top of this thread, you will seek those links.

Comment

I am new to this forum, but the information here is the good, i have some doubts and i need some suggestions

Comment

I want to claim asylum in US im from Pakistan and my wife is European citizen living here with me on ESTA . Can she be added in my application of asylum to remain with me until the decision of my case ?? And what will happen after decision if my asylum accepted is she will also get asylum with me ?
                              Please guide me on this.

Comment

Working...
                              X